Thursday 4 April 2013

DIY Citrus Body Scrub

Mothers Day crept up on me a bit this year, largely because it was the same day as I turned the big 23! Mummy came up to Cardiff so we could spend the day together, but needless to say, the birthday celebrations left me a little out of pocket!

I saw this little recipe on Lauren Conrad's websire, and decided to tweak it and give it a go myself. As Mummy Jeanie can tell you, this body scrub works a treat and I will certainly think twice about forking out for a branded scrub again when this one cost a grand total of £3 (jar included!).

Ladies (and Gents) I give you, Lemon and Grapefruit Body Scrub.



What you'll need:
A jar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (This can be swapped for an essential oil if you'd rather, but they cost more!)
1 grapefruit
1 lemon
Coarse Sea Salt




The original recipe calls for:
5 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp oil
1/2 lemon

But this makes a really tiny amount, so I filled the jar with salt, and counted it in tablespoons as I put it in the mixing bowl.

 My jar held 15tbsp of salt, so I adjusted the quantities as follows:

15tbsp salt
3 tbsp oil
1/2 lemon
1/2 grapefruit










First, mix the oil in with the salt. Make sure its all fully coated (add extra if you need). The oil protects the salt from the lemon, so if you skip out this stage, your salt will dissolve and all you'll have is mush, albeit a lovely smelly mush.

I then zested the grapefruit and the lemon to make a more rustic scrub, and to give it a bit of colour.
Then I added the juice of half a lemon, and half a grapefruit and mixed that in with the salt and oil.
I had too much juice, and ended up not using quite a bit of it, so best to do this bit in stages.


Pop it in a jar, tie a bit of ribbon around it, and voila! A lovely homemade gift.
It smells so lovely and citrus-y. The shelf life is a little less than your shop bought scrub - about six weeks, but no need to refrigerate.

I'd love to try some different flavours. I've been told recently that watermelon is supposed to do wonderful things for your skin, so this may well be next on my list!

If you give it a try, let me know how you get on - improvement suggestions all welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment